Now the the Renaissance Directory has launched, we took some of what we learned from that project to inject some new features into this site. I must say it look awesome on both a web browser and a phone! It’s rare to get a site to work fully on both computer and mobile devices. There are a few elements that appear on the computer that do not appear on a phone, but all of the necessities do work and they look great.
Here is a rundown of just a few of the new features we put into the site:
- Updated graphics
- The Guild Colors are still preserved, keeping elements of our Burgundy and Purple being used more as trim. The leather look represents well the old fashioned feel of our Guild’s honor system, yet trimming it with a feel of modern times. We aimed for a harmonius balance between the two. I’d say we succeeded.
- Hall of Fame
- Right below the main banner is a hall of fame to give recognition to the leaders of the Guild, both past and present. We wanted to commemorate our Founder, Knikolaes, and let this lead into a visual record of those who followed in his footsteps to keep the Guild alive.
- Most Popular
- Okay so that is just a listing of the top 6 staff members currently in the Guild. For some reason the code of the CMS system we are using refuses to let us change the words "Most Popular" to "Current Leadership", even though it shows on our Admin side as being changed. But, hey, leadership is popular, right?
- On the left side of the front page, you see some banners. These show some major news and events which we want viewers to see firsthand.
- Popular News
- This will be our news feed to keep everyone updated on what’s happening within the Guild. Of course this is only the public information, with all of the private good stuff remaining on our private forums. Speaking of forums . . .
- Forum Integration
- The forum now perfectly matches the main web site, and the navigation has been tuned so that you can flip between the two easily and feel as if you are on the same web site.
- Social Networking
- Originally the Guild avoided social networking in order to accomodate a former member that was not allowed on these types of sites. however, now that he has moved on, we are free to open up the doors and explode into the social connectivity that at least half of you are addicted to. As of this posting, we have a twitter and facebook set up, and we hope to integrate a MySpace soon as well.
- RSS Feeds
- We always had this, but now it’s better integrated with the site’s navigation so folks can actually subscribe to it.
- New Font
- Our old font, Windlass, has been replaced with a newer font that is also a Google Font, meaning we are able to integrate it with elements of our site without having to make PNG or JPG files for every single banner, header or title.
We hope you like the changes. These are just a sign that the Guild is not dead. In fact we have plans to use modern technology and social networking to fuel the fires again and get our numbers back up.
If anyone has any issues with this site, please let us know so we can have our system administrator take a look at it.